Aided Chon Roí‘The death of Cú Roí’
- Old Irish
- Ulster Cycle
- Version 1:
- London, British Library, MS Egerton 88 [c. 1564]f. 10raCorrupt version, followed by version 3.
- Version 2: prose fragment and the poem Brinna Ferchertne (q.v.):
- Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Laud Misc. 610 ff. 1–58 and ff. 73–122 = Leabhar na Rátha [1453–1454]f. 117rb–117vaFragment in prose which accompanies the poem Brinna Ferchertne.
- Version 3 (later, expanded version = Thurneysen’s ACR II)
- YBL = Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1318 cols 573–958 = section of the Yellow Book of Lecan [s. xivex/xvin]cols 776–780 (123a–125a in facsimile)Includes a version of Amrae Chon Roí
- London, British Library, MS Egerton 88 [c. 1564]ff. 10va–11rafound together with version 1 above
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS B iv 1a (236a) = Book of the Ó Duibhgeannáin [s.xvii (?)]p. 37Fragment
- Old Irish
Medieval Irish poem attributed in the final stanza to Aífe ingen Shogain, a síd-woman from Carn Treóin, and addressed by her to the Érainn, asking them to preserve the head of Cú Roí and recite his deeds.
An Irish quatrain said to have been uttered by Cú Roí before he was slain: CuRu[í] ro chan in so in la ro marbad [attribution]: He amae fet gae geir / Osnad mór mórmaic Neill: / Muin ar mug, run do mnai, / mairg dogni cechtar n-ai (transcription by Meyer), “CuRui had dieses gesungen, da er getötet wurde: O weh! Sausen des scharfen Speers! / Heftiges Aufstöhnen von Niall’s grossem Sohn! / Ein Juwel einem Knecht (anvertrauen), ein Geheimnis einer Frau – / Wehe dem, der beides tut!” (German translation by Thurneysen).
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Aided_Chon_Ro%C3%AD
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=2174
page ID: 2174
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=2174