Esgyniad Mair i’r Nef‘Assumption of Mary’
- Middle Welsh
Welsh versions of the Transitus Mariae Beatae.
- Version A
- Aberystwyth, National Library of Wales, Peniarth MS 182 = Llyfr Syr Huw Pennant [c.1514]pp. 179–198A somewhat free translation by Huw Pennant, who used the Latin version from the Legenda Aurea.
- Version B
- Aberystwyth, National Library of Wales, Llanstephan MS 117 [1544-1552]pp. 136–141Based on a version of the Transitus Beatae Mariae which Tischendorf, in his Apocalypses Apocryphae, called version A.
- Version group CVersions corresponding to version B of the Transitus Beatae Mariae, although within this group there are further variations of some significance.
- Aberystwyth, National Library of Wales, Peniarth MS 14 pp. 1-44 [s. xiii2]pp. 27—32 context: Gwyrthyeu e Wynvydedic VeirA copy which is found embedded in an account of the miracles of Virgin Mary (Gwyrthyeu e Wynvydedic Veir). It corresponds to version B of the Transitus Beatae Mariae.
- Oxford, Jesus College, MS 119 = Llyfr Ancr Llanddewi Brefi ff. 69v–f77rIt corresponds to version B of the Transitus Beatae Mariae.
- Aberystwyth, National Library of Wales, Peniarth MS 15 [s. xiv/xv]pp. 1–7J. G. Evans suggests that this text, along with others in this section of the MS, is a copy from Jesus College 119.
- Aberystwyth, National Library of Wales, Peniarth MS 5 = Llyfr Gwyn Rhydderch, part 1 [c. 1350]ff. 38r–40rTo an extent, this version corresponds to version B of the Transitus Beatae Mariae, but Williams (BBCS 18) has argued that part of it additionally relies on an independent Welsh translation of a different Latin original. This copy precedes Gwyrthyeu e Wynvydedic Veir.
- Aberystwyth, National Library of Wales, Llanstephan MS 27 = part of Llyfr Coch Talgarth (Red Book of Talgarth) [c.1400]ff. 169v–172vClose to Pen. 14, but not an altogether satisfactory text. This copy precedes Gwyrthyeu e Wynvydedic Veir.
- Middle Welsh
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
For the revised English edition, see J. E. Caerwyn Williams • Patrick K. Ford, The Irish literary tradition (1992).
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Esgyniad_Mair_i%27r_Nef
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=57394
page ID: 57394
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=57394