Lebor gabála Érenn, first redaction‘The book of the taking of Ireland’
- Middle Irish
- prose, prosimetrum
- Cycles of the Kings, Irish legendary history, Lebor gabála Érenn, Mythological Cycle
- L (Macalister) or LL = Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1339 (H 2. 18) = Book of Leinster [s. xii2]ff. 1a–26b
- F (Scowcroft, Macalister) = A copy of 44 pages (22 folios), the first part of which is now bound with the Book of Fermoy:
- F1 (Macalister) = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 E 29 pp. 1-16 [s. xiv (?)]ff. 1–8 pp. 1–16Fragment bound in front of the Book of Fermoy.
- F2 (Macalister) = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS D iii 1 (671) [s. xv (?)]ff. 9–22The order of the folios is disturbed.
- F1 (Macalister) =
- Mullingar, Longford-Westmeath County Library, Gaelic MS 1 Two fragments, with the verse reduced or omitted
- Middle Irish
Middle Irish poem (25 qq) attributed to Eochaid úa Flainn concerning the first settlements of Ireland by Cessair and Partholón. The poem as we have it was incorporated in the Lebor gabála Érenn and is common to all major recensions.
Middle Irish poem which is concerned with the origins of Emain Macha and is attested as a poem incorporated in recensions of Lebor gabála Érenn. While the Book of Leinster version seems to break off after 16 qq, the longer version which occurs in other recensions (46 qq) has a final quatrain which attributes the poem to Eochaid úa Flainn.
Early Irish poem (9 st.) in Lebor gabála Érenn concerning the arrival of three fishermen from Spain to Ireland before the Flood.
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Lebor_gab%C3%A1la_%C3%89renn_(Recension_A)
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=12110
page ID: 12110
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=12110