verse beg. A chóemu cláir Chuinn choímfhinn
- Middle Irish
Middle Irish poem (25 qq) attributed to Eochaid úa Flainn concerning the first settlements of Ireland by Cessair and Partholón. The poem as we have it was incorporated in the Lebor gabála Érenn and is common to all major recensions.
- A chóemu cláir Chuinn choímfhinn
(fl. c.936–1004, if he is Eochaid úa Flannucáin)
A medieval Irish poet to whom a number of Middle Irish poems, most of them in the Lebor gabála Érenn, have been attributed. His identification with Eochaid úa Flannucáin, a poet and historian who was guestmaster at Armagh, has gained favour over the years. In order not to pre-judge the matter, the two are distinguished in the present catalogue.
- LGÉ, Recension A
- L = Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1339 (H 2. 18) = Book of Leinster [s. xii2]pp. 5b.1–6a.10heading: ‘Is dósin ro chan in suí senchasa in laídse sís’beginning: ‘A choemu clair Cuind cóemfind’ context: Lebor gabála Érenn (Recension A)24 qq (does not include st. 24).
- F =
- LGÉ, Recension B
- V =
- D =
- E =
- R = Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Rawlinson B 512 III, (a) ff. 75B-100, (b) ff. 37-44 [s. xv]f. 78ra20–22beginning: ‘A choema clair Cuinn caimfind’ context: Lebor gabála Érenn (Recension B)First quatrain only.
- LGÉ, Recension C
- B = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 12 = Book of Ballymote (Leabhar Bhaile an Mhóta) [1384 x 1406]f. 24(13)va.i–vb.ibeginning: ‘A chaemha in Clair Chuind caimf.ind’ context: Lebor gabála Érenn (Recension C)25 qq.
- M = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 2 = Book of Lecan [s. xvin]f. 274(265)rabeginning: ‘A chaema Chlair Chuind chaiming’ context: Lebor gabála Érenn (Recension C)25 qq.
- Context: Lebor gabála Érenn (Ó Cléirigh)LGE, Ó Cléirigh recensionFurther, modernised copies are to be found in MSS of the Ó Cléirigh recension of LGÉ.
- Middle Irish
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Concerning this section in the recensions which he calls R1, Min, R2 and R3, Macalister writes that it “has suffered modification in translation from the original Latin and in subsequent transmission [...] and in consequence two versions R1 and R2, differing widely, have come into being. [...] The version [of this section] in Min need not detain us: it does not differ essentially from R1. We turn now to R3, which in this section is very clumsy and awkward patchwork, based upon the two earlier versions, with the addition of some extraneous matter. [...] The close relationship of his [the compiler's] MS of R1 (*Q), to F, observed in the preceding section is here maintained.”
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/A_ch%C3%B3emu_cl%C3%A1ir_Chuinn_cho%C3%ADmfhinn
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=57520
page ID: 57520
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=57520