Orgain brudne Uí Dergae‘The destruction of Uí Dergae's hostel’
- Old Irish
- Cycles of the Kings
Old Irish tale of Uí/Da Derga’s hostel (bruiden), which is thought to have been contained in the lost Cín Dromma Snechtai. Tantalisingly, Ii gives only a summarised version of events, in stark contrast to the later, considerably expanded version known as Togail bruidne Da Derga.
- Cín Dromma Snechtai [s.viii / s. xin]
A text was once contained in the now lost Cín Dromma Snechtai.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 N 10 (967) = Book of Ballycummin [s. xvi]p. 72heading: ‘Togail Bruidne Da Derg’
- London, British Library, MS Egerton 88 [c. 1564]f. 13rbheading: ‘Togail Bruidne Da Derg’
- Dublin, National Library of Ireland, MS G 7 [s. xvi]col. 5No title
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1337 18, pp. 542–564 [c. s. xiv]pp. 556a–556bheading: ‘Bruiden hi Derga’
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 E 25 (1229) = Lebor na hUidre [s. xi/xii]ff. 98b–99aheading: ‘Slicht Libair Dromma Snechta inso’beginning: ‘ORGAIN Brudne Uí Dergae trá iarna remscélaib’Later version, here also referred as Bruiden Uí Derga.
- Old Irish
Early Irish narrative text about Conaire Mór, from his conception and rise to power to the violation of his gessi and death at the siege of the hostel of Da Derga. For the earlier, shorter version, see Orgain (or Togail) brudne Uí Dergae.
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
Contents: Part 1 (chapters 1-23): Allgemeines; Part 2 (chapters 1-85): Die Ulter Sage.
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Orgain_brudne_U%C3%AD_Dergae
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=12364
page ID: 12364
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=12364