Lebor Bretnach‘The book of the Britons’
- Middle Irish
- Irish legendary history, Adaptation
The manuscripts with the sigla attached to them by Van Hamel:
- L1 =
- L2 =
- L3 =
- B = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 12 (536) = Book of Ballymote (Leabhar Bhaile an Mhóta) [1384 x 1406]Interpolated version.
- D = Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1336 6 (first part), cols 710*-831 [s. xvi]cols 806–826
- H =
- U = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 E 25 (1229) = Lebor na hUidre [s. xi/xii]ff. 3a–4bFragment.
- (Unidentified)A manuscript used by John Lynch, but now lost. See Dumville in Éigse 16 (1976).
- Middle Irish
A short Irish account of Silvius, son of Ascanius and father of Brutus of Troy. The text is indebted to the Irish adaptation of the Historia Brittonum known as Lebor Bretnach, which it quotes in places, but also adds material to it, such its opening passage on Vulcan the smith.Historia BrittonumHistoria Brittonum
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Lebor_Bretnach
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=3888
page ID: 3888
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=3888