Forus focal‘Knowledge of words’verse beg. Forus focal lúaidhter libh
- Early Modern Irish
- Irish glossaries, Glossary
- Forus focal lúaidhter libh
For his final edition, Stokes drew on the first five manuscripts (sigla: LL, S, M, H and L). The copies in TCD MSS 1284 and 1331 were noted by Paul Russell, ‘The sounds of a silence: the growth of Cormac's Glossary’, Cambridge Medieval Celtic Studies 15 (1988).
- LL = Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1339 pp. 377–410 = Supplement to the Book of Leinster [c. s. xvi]p. 395First ten quatrains only
- S = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, Stowe MS III (Unidentified)
- M =
- H = Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1307 (H 2. 12, no. 6) pp. 7–8Stokes considers the transcription to be a poor one.
- L =
- Dublin, University College Library, Additional Irish MS 14 = Dubhaltach Mac Fir Bhisigh’s Leabhar na ngenealach [s. xvii]Fragment. See Ó Muraíle below.
- Cambridge, University Library, MS Additional 3083 (8) [1685/6]pp. 174–180.m73qq.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 M 16 (308) [s. xviii]pp. 39–55to be confirmed
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 G 23 (256) [s. xviii / s. xix]pp. 153–157to be confirmed.
- Early Modern Irish
A glossary, or group of glossaries, that is probably best represented by a copy in the Book of Lecan. Unlike Sanas Cormaic or O'Davoren's glossary, which tend to comment on the terms under consideration, it usually provides single words to gloss difficult words. Notable exceptions include §§ 203-222.O’Clery’s glossaryO’Clery’s glossaryIrish glossary, dedicated to Baothghalach Mac Aodhagáin.
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Forus_focal
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=17503
page ID: 17503
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=17503