verse beg. Find Taulcha tuath cuire Cailte
- Old Irish
- Early Irish poetry, rhymeless Leinster poems
One of the rhymeless ‘Leinster poems’, preserved only in fragmentary form. The poem was apparently taken from a now lost compilation known as Cocangab Mór (‘The great compilation’). In the preserved fragment, Find, Taulcha, and Caílte are said to be descendants of Baiscne. The words ‘tri húi Núadat Necht’, which Meyer regards as a later addition, also traces their descent to Núadu Necht.
- Find Taulcha tuath cuire Cailte
(fl. 6th–7th century)
Irish poet associated with Gúaire Aidne, king of Connacht; popular figure in Irish literary tradition, notably as one credited for having retrieved the Táin and, especially in Tromdám Gúaire, as the leader of a band of poets seeking to test the limits of Gúaire’s hospitality.
As listed by Johan Corthals:(1)n. 1 Johan Corthals, ‘The rhymeless ‘Leinster poems’: diplomatic texts’, Celtica 24 (2003): 90–91.
- Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Rawlinson B 502 2, ff. 19–89 = Lebar Glinne Dá Locha (?) [1125 x 1150]p. 118a, line 54 – 118b, line 2
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1339 (H 2. 18) = Book of Leinster [s. xii2]p. 311c, lines 7–12
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 12 (536) = Book of Ballymote (Leabhar Bhaile an Mhóta) [1384 x 1406]p. 120b, lines 4–9
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 2 = Book of Lecan [s. xvin]f. 84va, lines 10–15
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1339 pp. 377–410 = Supplement to the Book of Leinster [c. s. xvi]p. 378b, lines 49–53
- Old Irish
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Find_Taulcha
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=3733
page ID: 3733
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=3733