Texts

verse beg. Cathair Chiaráin Cluain meic Nóis

  • Early Modern Irish
  • verse
A medieval Irish poem on the kings interred at Clonmacnoise.
Initial words (verse)
  • Cathair Chiaráin Cluain meic Nóis
Author
Ascribed to: Enóg Ó GilláinÓ Gilláin (Enóg)
Entry reserved for but not yet available from the subject index.

See more
The final quatrain, which Ó Cuív regards as “supplementary”, appears to ascribe the poem to Enog O Gillain, a name that is also associated with the Irish translation of the Life of St Catherine (RIA MS 24 P 25). Ó Cuív cites a letter by T. F. O'Rahilly (in MS Ir. d. 4, dated 14 May 1929) in which the latter disputes Ó Gilláin’s authorship of the poem.
Manuscripts
Language
  • Early Modern Irish
  • Early Modern Irish?
Form
verse (primary)
Number of stanzas
19
Textual relationships
Related: A reilec láech Leithe CuinnA reilec láech Leithe CuinnEarly Irish poem (24 qq) on the kings of ‘Conn’s half’ interred at Clonmacnoise.
Hi ccathraigh in t-oirnidheHi ccathraigh in t-oirnidheIrish poem on the kings interred at Clonmacnoise.

Classification

Subjects

Clúain Moccu Nóis
Clúain Moccu Nóis ... Clonmacnoise
County Offaly
See more

Sources

Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.

[ed.] Mulchrone, Kathleen, “Cathair Chiaráin”, An Sagart 7 (1964): 37–39.
[ed.] [tr.] Petrie, George, Christian inscriptions in the Irish language, ed. Margaret Stokes, 2 vols, Dublin: printed at the University, 1872–1878.
Internet Archive – vol. 1: <link> Internet Archive – vol. 2: <link> HathiTrust – vols 1–2: <link> HathiTrust – vols 1–2, originally available from Google Books: <link>
Vol. 1, 5–7 Edition seemingly by Margaret Stokes. Translation and notes by W. M. Hennessy. “The Editor has to offer her best thanks to Mr. W. D. Macray for his kindness in procuring a tracing of the original MS. for her, and to Mr. Wm. M. Hennessy for the translation and notes with which he has enriched it”.

Secondary sources (select)

King, Heather A., “An ogham-inscribed antler handle from Clonmacnoise”, Peritia 20 (2008): 315–322.
315
Ó Cuív, Brian, Catalogue of Irish language manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford and Oxford college libraries. Part 1: Descriptions, Dublin: School of Celtic Studies, DIAS, 2001.
127
McManus, Damian, A guide to Ogam, Maynooth Monographs 4, Maynooth: An Sagart, 1991.
156, 185 n. 17 On the significance of ainm caomh cheart-oghaim (l. 8). Also incl. edition and English translation of the first two quatrains, with a comment (n. 17) on the use of snaidhm and craobh, which “probably refer to the interlacing and decorative ornament often found on these stones.”
Ryan, John, Clonmacnois: a historical summary, Dublin: Stationery Office for the National Parks and Monuments Branch, Office of Public Works, 1973. 91 pp.
71
Kenney, James F., “Chapter V: The monastic churches: II. The churches of the sixth to ninth centuries; general treatises”, in: Kenney, James F., The sources for the early history of Ireland: an introduction and guide. Volume 1: ecclesiastical, Records of Civilization: Sources and Studies 11, Revised ed. (1929), New York: Octagon, 1966. 372–485.
383 [id. 172.] Poem iii, “a late composition, [which] was written, it is said, "by Enoch O'Gillan who lived on the borders of the River Suck," county Galway.”
Contributors
Dennis Groenewegen
Page created
February 2022