Texts

verse beg. Hi ccathraigh in t-oirnidhe

  • Irish
  • verse
Irish poem on the kings interred at Clonmacnoise.
Initial words (verse)
  • Hi ccathraigh in t-oirnidhe
Author
Ascribed to: PatriníPatriní
Entry reserved for but not yet available from the subject index.

See more
The poem is headed “Patriní cecinit”. A Latin note in another hand, which O'Keeffe suggests is probably that of John Colgan, identifies him as Máel Pátraic, a priest of Clonmacnoise who died in 1028 (Malpatric presybter Cluan qui obiit an. 1028).
Manuscripts
Language
  • Irish
Form
verse (primary)
Number of stanzas
17
Textual relationships
Related: A reilec láech Leithe CuinnA reilec láech Leithe CuinnEarly Irish poem (24 qq) on the kings of ‘Conn’s half’ interred at Clonmacnoise.
Cathair Chiaráin Cluain meic NóisCathair Chiaráin Cluain meic NóisA medieval Irish poem on the kings interred at Clonmacnoise.

Classification

Subjects

Clúain Moccu Nóis
Clúain Moccu Nóis ... Clonmacnoise
County Offaly
See more

Sources

Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.

[ed.] O'Keeffe, J. G. [ed.], “The kings buried in Clonmacnois”, in: Fraser, J., P. Grosjean, and J. G. O'Keeffe (eds.), Irish texts, fasciculus IV, London, 1934. 44–46.
Celtic Digital Initiative: <link>
The Latin notes are given in a footnote.
[ed.] [tr.] Petrie, George, Christian inscriptions in the Irish language, ed. Margaret Stokes, 2 vols, Dublin: printed at the University, 1872–1878.
Internet Archive – vol. 1: <link> Internet Archive – vol. 2: <link> HathiTrust – vols 1–2: <link> HathiTrust – vols 1–2, originally available from Google Books: <link>
Vol. 1, 76–78 Poem transcribed by Eugene O'Curry and edited by B. O'Looney. It is headed: “The Editor has to offer her best thanks to Mr. O’Looney for the following poem, and for the translation which he has kindly added to it. It was copied by Professor O’Curry from a manuscript in the Burgundian Library at Brussels, and his copy is now preserved in the Catholic University of Dublin”.

Secondary sources (select)

Kenney, James F., “Chapter V: The monastic churches: II. The churches of the sixth to ninth centuries; general treatises”, in: Kenney, James F., The sources for the early history of Ireland: an introduction and guide. Volume 1: ecclesiastical, Records of Civilization: Sources and Studies 11, Revised ed. (1929), New York: Octagon, 1966. 372–485.
383 [id. 172.] Poem ii.
Contributors
Dennis Groenewegen
Page created
February 2022