Auraicept na n-éces‘The scholars'/poets' primer’
- Old Irish, Middle Irish
- Irish legendary history, Irish texts on language and literature
- Canonical partThe so-called ‘canonical part’ of the Auraicept does not survive as an independent text in the manuscripts.
- Short recension
- M =
- BB = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 12 (536) = Book of Ballymote (Leabhar Bhaile an Mhóta) [1384 x 1406]f. 170v ff
- E =
- L(ec) = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 2 = Book of Lecan [s. xvin]ff. 151–161
- Intermediate recension
- T = Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1363 14, pp. 159-210 [s. xv]pp. 167–186, 197–198, 187–210Intermediate between the shorter and longer recension (Calder); does not contain the poem on the Trefhocul. See Calder, pp. 159-207.
- Long recension
- YBL = Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1318 15, cols. 500-572 = YBL section cols 504–549A version which does not contain the poem on the Trefhocul. It is preceded by a text of In lebor ollaman.
- Eg = London, British Library, MS Egerton 88 [c. 1564]ff. 63–76does not contain the poem on the Trefhocul
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1319 (H 2. 17) [various]pp. 195 ffImperfect copy. See Hofman and Smelik below
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1432 (E 3. 3) [s. xv-xvi]ff. 3–16A copy not consullted by Calder. Ends incomplete.
- Old Irish Middle Irish
A Middle Irish commentary on the Auraicept na n-éces and some of its companion material. McLaughlin has suggested that “the author was working with an annotated copy of that text”. The text opens with a list of the judges and authors of Ireland and a prologue. Much of the commentary is structured using didactic formulae (e.g. ceist ... ní hansa, and similar).
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Auraicept_na_n-%C3%A9ces
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=2270
page ID: 2270
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=2270