Tochmarc Étaíne‘The wooing of Étaín’
- Middle Irish
- Mythological Cycle, Ulster Cycle
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 E 25 (1229) = Lebor na hUidre [s. xi/xii]pp. 129a–132aThis copy contains all three tales, but it is wanting in parts: (1) pp. 129a-129b line 19: story I (fragment due to a gap in the manuscript); (2) 129b line 20-130b: story II (complete); (3) pp. 130b-132a: story III (lacks the middle and end of the text). Incipit: ‘Tochmarc nÉtaine dano so sís’.
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1318 cols 573–958 = section of the Yellow Book of Lecan [s. xivex/xvin]pp. 175a–175b (in facsimile) cols 876–877heading: ‘Tochmarc Etaine andso’Complete copy of story 2
- Dublin, National Library of Ireland, MS G 4 = originally part of the Yellow Book of Lecan [s. xivex]cols 985–997Complete copy: (1) col. 985 ff: story I; (2) col. 990 ff: story II; (3) cols 992-997: story III. Incipit: ‘Tochmarc Etaine beos’.
- London, British Library, MS Egerton 1782 [1516-1518]ff. 106r–108vA somewhat expanded version, including some versifications. It precedes a copy of Togail bruidne Da Derga.
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1337 19, pp. 565–628 [s. xvi (?)]pp. 605–606Glossed extracts
- Middle Irish
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Tochmarc_%C3%89ta%C3%ADne
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=2027
page ID: 2027
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=2027