Suidiugad Tige Midchúarta

  • Early Irish
  • Medieval Irish literature
  • Early Irish
While the earliest manuscript, the Book of Leinster, dates to the 12th century, Sayers states that “linguistic and other evidence points to content from appreciably earlier”.(1)n. 1 William Sayers, ‘A cut above. Ration and station in an Irish king’s hall’, Food and Foodways 4 (1990): 90..


Medieval Irish literatureMedieval Irish literature



William Sayers, ‘A cut above. Ration and station in an Irish king’s hall’, Food and Foodways 4 (1990): 90..

Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.

[dipl. ed.] Best, Richard Irvine, Osborn Bergin, M. A. OʼBrien, and Anne OʼSullivan [eds.], The Book of Leinster, formerly Lebar na Núachongbála, 6 vols, Dublin: Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies, 1954–1983.
CELT – 1-260: <link> CELT – 400-470 (excl. Táin bó Cúailnge): <link> CELT – 471-638 and 663 (excl. Dinnshenchas Érenn): <link> CELT – 761-781 and 785-841 (excl. Dinnshenchas Érenn and Togail Troí): <link> CELT – 1119-1192 and 1202-1325 (excl. Esnada tige Buchet and Fingal Rónáin ): <link>
Vol. 1: 116–120. Diplomatic edition of the LL text.
[ed.] [tr.] Gilbert, John T. [ed.], Facsimiles of national manuscripts of Ireland, 5 vols, Dublin: Public Record Office of Ireland, 1874–1884.  

Four parts in five volumes; photozincographed “by command of Her Majesty Queen Victoria by Major-General Sir Henry James” (d. 1877), who was director-general of the Ordnance Survey; vols 2–4 have imprint “selected and edited [by Gilbert] under the direction of the Right Hon. Edward Sullivan, Master of the Rolls in Ireland”.

Edition and translation by Brian O'Looney: of the LL text in pt. II (1878), with a reproduction on plate LIII; and of the YBL text in pt. III (1879), with reproduction on plate XXIV.
[ed.] Petrie, George, and John OʼDonovan [collaborator], “On the history and antiquities of Tara Hill”, Transactions of the Royal Irish Academy 18 (1839): 25–232.
Internet Archive: <link>
196–212 The edition by O'Donovan. direct link
[ed.] Vallancey, Charles, “Description of the banqueting-hall, of Tamar or Tara; with a plan of the same, from an antient Irish Manuscript, in Trinity College, Dublin”, in: Charles Vallancey (ed.), Collectanea de rebus Hibernicis, 6 vols, vol. 3, Dublin, 1786. 512–541.
Internet Archive: <link> Internet Archive: <link> Internet Archive: <link>

Secondary sources (select)

Sayers, William, “A cut above. Ration and station in an Irish king’s hall”, Food and Foodways 4:2 (1990): 89–110.
Dennis Groenewegen, User:Dennis Groenewegen
Page created
August 2011, last updated: January 2024