verse beg. Oenach indiu luid in rí
- Middle Irish, Early Modern Irish
- Classical Irish poetry, Duanaire Finn, Early Irish poetry, Finn Cycle
- Oenach indiu luid in rí
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1339 (H 2. 18) = Book of Leinster [s. xii2]pp. 206b – 207b line 4
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 24 P 5 (93) = Reeves manuscript of the Agallamh na seanórach [s. xvii]pp. 129, line 19 – p. 135, line 4Part of the Acallam na senórach
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 L 22 (106) [s. xix]Transcript by Samual Bryson
- Dublin, University College, MS Franciscan A 20 (b) = Duanaire Finn [s. xvii1]ff. 12v line 29 (bottom)–14r line 16Modernised version in the Duanaire Finn, beginning ‘Aónach so a Moigh Eala in rí’ (“This is a fair of Magh Eala of the king”). 44 quatrains.
- Middle Irish Early Modern Irish
The version in the Book of Leinster is Middle Irish. Gerard Murphy also dates the version in the Duanaire Finn to the Middle Irish period. John Carey, however, has shown that in its received form, the latter poem supports an Early Modern Irish date and lacks linguistic clues that an earlier poem from the Middle Irish period had been reworked. Without the existence of the LL copy, the poem could not “persuasively be dated earlier than the thirteenth century, and even a later date would be difficult to rule out”.(2)n. 2 John Carey, ‘Remarks on dating’ in Duanaire Finn... (2003): 16–18.
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Oenach_indiu_luid_in_r%C3%AD
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=4279
page ID: 4279
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=4279