Agallamh Oisín agus Phádraig ‘The dialogue between Oisín and Patrick’
- Early Modern Irish, Modern Irish
- Classical Irish poetry, Finn Cycle
The Agallamh Oisín agus Phádraig, as intended here, refers to a series of poems that have been brought together in the framework of a dialogue between St Patrick and Finn's son Oisín.
(fl. 5th century)
No short description available
See more Oisín mac FinnOisín mac Finn
(time-frame ass. with Finn Cycle, Finn mac Cumaill, Saint Patrick, Cormac mac Airt)
A fían-warrior, son of Finn, in the Finn Cycle of medieval Irish literature
Síle Ní Mhurchú has identified as many as 75 manuscript copies of the Agallamh, including:
- 17 copies with eleven lays in the order as you will see presented in the table of contents.
- 24 copies that are incomplete (whether due to omission or loss of leaves) but follow the same order
- 25 copies that are complete or near complete, but do not follow the same order or contain additions of other material; 9 such manuscripts contain a version with five additional lays, possibly of North Cork provenance. In addition, there are many attestations of individual lays.
Some manuscript copies:
- Early Modern Irish Modern Irish
- Late Early Modern Irish, but with later stages of development.
Early Modern Irish fíanaigecht poem, which occurs in the collection Duanaire Finn as well as the later Agallamh Oisín agus Phádraig.Aithrí agus bás OisínAithrí agus bás OisínFinal piece of Agallamh Oisín agus Phádraig, in which Patrick tricks Oisín into asking him for forgiveness and grants him absolution. Oisín dies not long afterwards.Anmanna na laochra do thit ar Chnoc an ÁirAnmanna na laochra do thit ar Chnoc an ÁirAnmanna na ngadhar is na gconAnmanna na ngadhar is na gconCaoineadh Áille ShnuaghealCaoineadh Áille ShnuaghealCath Chnoic an ÁirCath Chnoic an ÁirLaoi an bhraitLaoi an bhraitLaoi Mheargaigh na LannLaoi Mheargaigh na LannLaoi na seilgeLaoi na seilgeSeilg Sléibhe FuaidSeilg Sléibhe FuaidSeilg Sléibhe gCuilinnSeilg Sléibhe gCuilinn
Work in progress. Per Ní Mhurchú, Síle, “Agallamh Oisín agus Phádraig”, in The Gaelic Finn tradition (2012), the following list follows the arrangement of the lays as it is found in 17 manuscript copies.
|A Oisín, is fada do shúan|
|Cath Chnoic an Áir||The battle of Cnoc an Áir|
|Laoi Mheargaigh na Lann||The lay of Meargach na Lann|
|Caoineadh Áille Shnuagheal||The lamentation of Áille Shnuagheal|
|Anmanna na laochra do thit ar Chnoc an Áir||The names of the warriors who fell at Cnoc an Áir|
|Anmanna na ngadhar is na gcon||The names of the dogs and hounds|
|Laoi na seilge||The lay of the hunt|
|Seilg Sléibhe gCuilinn||The hunt of Slíab Cuilinn|
|La da raibh Fionn ag ol|
|Seilg Sléibhe Fuaid||The hunt of Slíab Fuaid|
|Aithrí agus bás Oisín||The repentance and death of Oisín|
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Agallamh_Ois%C3%ADn_agus_Ph%C3%A1draig
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=11093
page ID: 11093
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=11093