verse beg. Ériu co n-uaill, co n-idnaib
- Middle Irish
- Early Irish poetry, Irish legendary history, Mythological Cycle
Poem in Lebor gabála Érenn.
- Ériu co n-uaill, co n-idnaib
(fl. c.936–1004, if he is Eochaid úa Flannucáin)
A medieval Irish poet to whom a number of Middle Irish poems, most of them in the Lebor gabála Érenn, have been attributed. His identification with Eochaid úa Flannucáin, a poet and historian who was guestmaster at Armagh, has gained favour over the years. In order not to pre-judge the matter, the two are distinguished in the present catalogue.
See more Eochaid ua FlannucáinEochaid úa Flannucáin
Eochaid úa Flannucáin
Irish poet and scholar, who was guestmaster at Armagh and superior at Cluain Fiachna (Clonfeacle). He was identified by Rudolf Thurneysen as the poet Eochaid úa Flainn, to whom several poems, most of them in the Lebor gabála, are attributed. This identification has gained favour over the years. In order not to pre-judge the matter, the two are distinguished in the present catalogue.
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1339 (H 2. 18) = Book of Leinster [s. xii2]p. 10
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 2 = Book of Lecan [s. xvin]f. 11rb
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS D v 1 (537) [s. xiv (?)]f. 9rbbeginning: ‘Heriu co n-uaill co nidhnaib’18 quatrains
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS D iii 1 (671) [s. xv (?)]f. 10va
- Middle Irish
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/%C3%89riu_co_n-uaill,_co_n-idnaib
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=8258
page ID: 8258
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=8258