verse beg. Mithig dam-sa tairerad / do thriall o thoraib teglaig
- Middle Irish
Religious Irish poem (10 qq) on pilgrimage. In MSS of the Annals of the Four Masters, under the year 926, it is attributed to Céle Dabhail, abbot of Bangor, who is said have composed it before going on pilgrimage to Rome. The copy in Laud Misc. 615, a collection of poetry associated with Colum Cille, comes with an attribution to that saint.
- Mithig dam-sa tairerad / do thriall o thoraib teglaig
(fl. 6th century)
founder and abbot of Iona, Kells (Cenandas) and Derry (Daire).
See more Céle Dabhail mac ScannailCéle Dabhail mac Scannail
- L = Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Laud Misc. 615 = Saltair Choluim Chille [s. xvi1]p. 108heading: ‘Colum Cille cecinit’beginning: ‘Mithidh damhsa taireradh.’10 qq.
- Lism = Cork, University College, Book of Lismore = Book of Lismore (Leabhar Leasa Móir) [s. xv]f. 95(53)vb.16–endbeginning: ‘Mithid damhsa toiriread’10 qq. No ascription.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 H 6 (478) Transcript from the Book of Lismore.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 H 24 (709) [s. xviii–xix]
- Late copies attr. to Cormac mac Cuilennáin
- N = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 N 3 (732) [s. xix]p. 175heading: ‘Cormac mac Cuillionáin .cc.’
Annals of the Four Masters
- Context: Annals of the Four Masters
AFM sub anno 926, where it is attributed to one Cele-dabhail mac Scannláin (?).
- Middle Irish
- Middle Irish?
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Mithig_dam-sa_tairerad
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=63226
page ID: 63226
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=63226