Irish note on the twelve apostles (Christus dub dond a folt)
- Middle Irish
- Christus, dub dond a folt ⁊ cas ulcha foda gablanach fair
- Version 1
Beg. Christus dub don a folt
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 12 (536) = Book of Ballymote (Leabhar Bhaile an Mhóta) [1384 x 1406]f. 7vbbeginning: ‘Christus, dub dond a folt ⁊ cas ulcha foda gablanach fair’
Version edited by Stokes (RC 8) and later by Carney.
- Dublin, National Library of Ireland, MS G 3 = Book of Ádhamh Ó Cianáin [s. xiv-xv]f. 21vbbeginning: ‘Christus dubhdhonn a fholt ⁊ cas ulcha fhota gablamach fair’
- Dublin, National Library of Ireland, MS G 1 [s. xvi]f. 50r.7ffbeginning: ‘Críost folt dubh fair ⁊ ulcha chas ghabhlánach’
- Version 2
A somewhat different version, with Latin and Irish words prefixed to the information about each apostle.
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1318 6, cols 281-344 = Section of YBLcol. 332beginning: ‘crux. Christus folt dub et barba rufa longa’
This is the version edited by Stokes in RC 9: 364 (as an appendix to his article in RC 8).
- Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Laud Misc. 610 ff. 1–58 and ff. 73–122 = Leabhar na Rátha [1453–1454]f. 41rbbeginning: ‘Christus folt dub ⁊ barba rufa / longa’
- Middle Irish
- Middle Irish?
Irish treatise on the twelve apostles (genealogy, appearance, death)Irish treatise on the twelve apostles (genealogy, appearance, death)An Irish treatise on the Twelve Apostles, their genealogies, their personal appearances (chiefly hair and beards), their deaths and their burial places.
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
Gives information about two prose versions: 74A, b, represented by BB and NLI G 3 f. 21v; and 74A, c., here said to be represented by YBL col. 247, Laud Misc. 610, and NLI G 3 f. 50r, which is “to be compared with the other two”. However, for YBL col. 247, perhaps read YBL col. 332, and for NLI G 3 f. 50r, read NLI G 1 f. 50r, which is closer to version b.
Plummer gives BB, YBL col. 332 and Laud Misc. 610.
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Irish_note_on_the_twelve_apostles_(Christus_dub_dond_a_folt)
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=65616
page ID: 65616
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=65616