Dinnshenchas of Mag Muirthemne
- Middle Irish
- Dinnshenchas Érenn, Dinnshenchas
- Dinnshenchas Érenn C supplement
- MS S only: prose only
- S = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS D ii 2 (1222) [s. xvi (?)]f. 87rb context: Dinnshenchas Érenn C supplement
- Middle Irish
Muirthemne appears to be explained as a compound consisting of muir + te(i)me, meaning ‘darkness of the sea’ (temhe in mara), or ‘(it is) under the sea’s roof’ (fo scemil mara h-é). Two different accounts are offered for this etymology:
- It was covered by sea for 30 years after the Flood.
- It was once covered by a magic sea (muir draidechta) that was inhabited by a sea-monster described in Irish as a muir-selche. It could suck in any armed warrior and put him inside its treasure-bag (autsad-bolg). One day, however, the Dagda struck his club of wrath (lorg anfaid) on the creature and in a chant told it to disappear. The sea receded along with the creature.
The same anecdote is told in the long version of Tochmarc Emire, with which it shows a number of verbal correspondences. Gwynn suggests that the story in the present text was, in fact, borrowed from TE.For further discussion, see Jacqueline Borsje, From chaos to enemy (1996): 46–48; 145. » People: The Dagda » Places: Mag Muirthemne » Events: The Flood » Textual sources: Tochmarc Emire » Keywords: mythological monsters » Irish keyword(s): muir-selche
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Dinnshenchas_of_Mag_Muirthemne
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=13779
page ID: 13779
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=13779