Cáin Adomnáin‘The Law of Adomnán’
- Old Irish
- Early Irish law texts, Irish religious texts
Old Irish legal-ecclesiastical text originating in a law which was promulgated at the 697 Synod of Birr (Co. Offaly) and was apparently drafted by Adomnán, abbot of Iona. The law sought to exempt women, children, clergy and other non-combatants from combat in warfare.
- Cóic amsira rīa ngein Crīst
Adomnán mac Rónáin was abbot of Iona (r. 679–704) and author of the Latin Life of St Columba and an account of the holy places of the Near East (De locis sanctis). He is credited with the proclamation of the Lex innocentium or Cáin Adomnáin at the Synod of Birr.
- Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Rawlinson B 512 I, (a) ff. 101-122, (b) ff. 1-36, (c) ff. 45-52 [s. xv / s. xvi]ff. 48ra–51va (line 9)Ends abruptly.
- (Unidentified)Manuscript written by Cú Mumhan mac Tuathail Í Clerigh, a cousin of Mícheál Ó Cléirigh (now lost)
- Brussels, Bibliothèque Royale de Belgique, MS 2324-2340 (3410) ff. 76r–82vCopy written by Mícheál Ó Cléirigh.
- Old Irish
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/C%C3%A1in_Adomn%C3%A1in
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=1356
page ID: 1356
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=1356