Book of Leinster colophon to the Táin bó Cúailnge
- Middle Irish, Hiberno-Latin
- Táin bó Cúailnge, Scribal additions
- A finit in Irish
- A note in Irish: Bendacht ar cech óen mebraigfes go hindraic Táin amlaid seo ⁊ ná tuillfe cruth aile furri (‘A blessing on everyone who will rehearse the Táin exactly as it is here and will not add any other form to it’)
- An oft-cited scribal note in Latin on the value of the Táin: Sed ego qui scripsi hanc historiam aut uerius fabulam quibusdam fidem in hac historia aut fabula non accommodo. Quaedam enim ibi sunt praestrigia demonum, quaedam autem figmenta poetica, quaedam similia uero, quaedam non, quaedam ad delectationem stultorum. (‘But I who have written this story [historia] or rather fable [fabula], do not give credence to the various incidents related in it. For some things in it are the deceptions of demons, others poetic figmenta; some are probable, others improbable; while others are for the amusement of foolish people.’)(1)n. 1 Translation based on Cecile O'Rahilly, Táin bó Cúalnge: from the Book of Leinster (1967): 272.
- Middle Irish Hiberno-Latin
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Book_of_Leinster_colophon_to_the_T%C3%A1in_b%C3%B3_C%C3%BAailnge
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=12376
page ID: 12376
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=12376