Togail bruidne Da Derga‘The destruction of Da Derga's hostel’
- Cycles of the Kings, Ulster Cycle, Togla
Early Irish narrative text about Conaire Mór, from his conception and rise to power to the violation of his gessi and death at the siege of the hostel of Da Derga. For the earlier, shorter version, see Orgain (or Togail) brudne Uí Dergae.
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1318 cols 573–958 = section of the Yellow Book of Lecan [s. xivex/xvin]pp. 91a (line 1)–104a (line 17) in facsimile cols 716–739Complete.
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1318 3, pp. 123-124 = YBL fragment of Togail bruidne Da Derga [s. xiv/xv]pp. 123–124 (432–433)Fragment, lines 1-99 of Knott's edition.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS D iv 2 (992) [s. xv]ff. 79ra (line 1)–92ra (line 40)Complete.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 E 25 (1229) = Lebor na hUidre [s. xi/xii]ff. 83ra–99ra (+H)Beginning missing. Line 222ff of Knott's edition.
- London, British Library, MS Additional 33993 [s. xvi]part 1 ff. 4r–5vBeginning only, lines 1-145 of Knott's edition.
- London, British Library, MS Egerton 92 = Book of Fermoy fragment [s. xv]ff. 18ra–23vFragment corresponding to the Fermoy fragment. Lines 1-482 and 644-1044 of Knott's edition.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 E 29 pp. 17-216 = Book of Fermoy ‘proper’ [s. xiv/xv]part 2 pp. 213a–216bFragment. Lines 1045-1351 of Knott's edition.
- Three fragments. Lines 164-361, 546-894 and 1045-1197 of Knott's edition.
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1337 17, pp. 503–541pp. 528–533Glossed extracts.
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1318 6, cols 281-344 = Section of YBLcol. 343Extract concerning the warrior Fén dar Crínach. Two (slightly rephrased) lines from § 41 (ed. Knott). Edited by Meyer (1918).
- Composite recension
- London, British Library, MS Egerton 1782 [1516-1518]ff. 108vb–123vbComposite text. Imperfect.
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1288 (H 1. 14) [c. 1750]ff. 26r–52vA copy of the former
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
Contents: Part 1 (chapters 1-23): Allgemeines; Part 2 (chapters 1-85): Die Ulter Sage.
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Togail_bruidne_Da_Derga
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=295
page ID: 295
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=295