De duodecim abusivis saeculi‘Of the twelve abuses of the world’
- Hiberno-Latin texts
(fl. 7th century)
Anonymous Irish author of the Latin treatise De duodecim abusivis saeculi, a work which is otherwise attributed in the manuscripts to Cyprian, the 3th-century bishop of Carthage.
See more Isidore of SevilleIsidore of Seville
Archbishop of Sevilla (Visigothic Spain), theologian, scholar and highly influential author, who is known especially for works such as his Etymologiae, Synonyma, De natura rerum, De ortu et obitu patrum, De officiis ecclesiasticis and a Chronica maiora.
See more Augustine of HippoAugustine of Hippo
Sources: Bible, Rule of Benedict, Irish wisdom literature.
1. Sapiens sine operibus (The wise man without works)
2. Senex sine religione (The old man without religion)
3. Adolescens sine oboedienia (The young man without obedience)
4. Dives sine elemosyna (The rich man without charity/alms-giving)
5. Femina sine pudicitia (The woman without modesty/decency)
6. Dominus sine virtute (The lord without virtue/strength)
7. Christianus contentiosus (The contentious Christian or the Christian who loves the world)
8. Pauper superbus (The proud poor man)
9. Rex iniquus (The unjust king)
10. Episcopus neglegens (The negligent bishop)
11. Plebs sine disciplina (The community without punishment)
12. Populus sine lege (The people without (Christ’s) law)
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/De_duodecim_abusivis_saeculi
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=724
page ID: 724
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=724