Cath Crinna‘The battle of Crinna’
- Middle Irish
- prose, prosimetrum
- Cycles of the Kings, Finn Cycle
Late Middle Irish account of the battle of Crinna, in which Cormac mac Airt is said to have defeated the Ulstermen with the aid of Tadg son of Cían. The saga offers an origin legend of the Cíannacht Breg, explaining how it came to settle near Tara but did not attain the kingship of Tara.
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1339 (H 2. 18) = Book of Leinster [s. xii2]pp. 328f–329aEarly version incorporated among genealogical matters = CGH pp. 403-405.
- Chatsworth (Derbyshire), Book of Lismore = Book of Lismore (Leabhar Leasa Móir) [s. xv]ff. 163ra–165rbThe version known from the edition in Silva Gadelica.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 E 29 pp. 17-216 = Book of Fermoy ‘proper’ [s. xiv / s. xv]pp. 29a–35aA different version that omits some poems while offering others.
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1337 19, pp. 565–628 [s. xvi (?)]p. 609Glosses
- Middle Irish
- “The extant version of the story is late Middle Irish, but a forerunner may originally have been composed in the eighth century in the aftermath of this disaster” (Charles-Edwards).(1)n. 1 T. M. Charles-Edwards, Early Christian Ireland (2000): 551.
The Middle Irish tale-lists mention at least two titles that seem relevant to the present text: (1) Tochomlod Céin a Caisil ‘The migration of Cían from Cashel’ and (2) Aided Taidc maic Céin ‘The death of Tadg mac Céin’.
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Cath_Crinna
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=188
page ID: 188
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=188