Betha Féchín Fabair‘The life of Féchín of Fore’
- Early Modern Irish
- Irish hagiography
Irish Life of St Féchín of Fore. According to a note in the manuscript (NLI MS G 5), it is based on a Latin work and was translated into Irish by Nicól Óg, abbot of Cong.
- Dublin, National Library of Ireland, MS G 5 [s. xv – s. xvi]ff. 1r–5vFollowed by an Irish homily on the saint.
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1318 pp. 1-2 + cols 125-128 = YBL copy of Betha Féchín Fabair [?]cols 1a*–2b*, 125–128Fragments of a version unknown to Stokes at the time when he published his edition.
- (Unidentified)According to the catalogue description, Eugene O’Curry made a transcript that was annexed to the manuscript.
- As Stokes remarks, three manuscript copies of a vernacular life were known to John Colgan:
- Codex Immaciensis ‘Book of Imaidh (Omey)’or Book of Imaidh (Omey) in Connacht. Prose.
- (Unidentified)one stylo planè vetusto et magnae fidei, which lacked the beginning and end of the text. Prose.
- (Unidentified)another vetusto et eleganti metro, 74 distichis constante, in quorum paenè singulis singula narrantur miracula. Metrical version.
- (Unidentified)A copy which by the early 16th century was still present in the library of the earl of Kildare (Ó Riain)
- Early Modern Irish
The second vita of St Féchín printed by John Colgan in his Acta sanctorum Hiberniae. Colgan made use of three Irish sources, which he conflated and translated into Latin to produce a composite text. The first life he found in a manuscript associated with Féchín's monastery in the island of Omey (vnam fusam ex Codice Immaciensi in Connacia, quam eius compilator aliàs recentior ... indicat ... desumptam esse ex alia latina); the second life is described as aliam habemus stylo plane uetusto et magnae fidei, sed principio et fine carentem. Plummer suggests that these lives must have corresponded to the vernacular life and homily found in NLI MS G 5. The third source is a metrical version now lost (tertiam uero uetusto et eleganti metro lxxiv distichis constante).
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Betha_F%C3%A9ch%C3%ADn_Fabair
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=4140
page ID: 4140
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=4140