Agents persons, peoples and institutions

Browse from A to Z
Results (422)
  • d. 550s
legendary seer, best known from literary sources as an Irish prophet associated with Díarmait mac Cerbaill

Béccán mac Cúla See: Béccán of Emlagh

  • Clúain Ard Mo Béccóc
  • supp. fl. 6th century
  • Imlech Beccáin
Béccán/Beccán mac Cúla/Cula, patron saint of Imlech Fiaich (Emlagh, Co. Meath) near Kells.
  • s. xx–xxi
  • 1924–2004
  • d. 735
English monk at Monkwearmouth-Jarrow; author of the Historia ecclesiastica gentis Anglorum and works on various religious and theological subjects.
  • d. 1642
  • Kilmore, Co. Cavan
English churchman, bishop of Kilmore, Co. Cavan (Church of Ireland); commissioned and assisted an Irish translation of the Old Testament (Leabhuir an tSean Tiomna), printed in 1684.
Dutch linguist and Indo-Europeanist.

Béinne Britt See: Benne Brit

Hostel-keeper of Connacht in the Ulster Cycle of tales.

Public library, which opened in Royal Avenue in 1888, then as the Free Public Library, and was originally run by Belfast Corporation (for some time as part of Belfast Free Public Library, Art Gallery and Museum). Since 2009, it is run by Libaries NI (Northern Ireland Library Authority). In 1989, it acquired Irish-language manuscripts (Bryson & MacAdam manuscripts) which were previously owned by the Belfast Natural History and Philosophical Society and kept for some time in the Ulster Museum.

Junior seminary and secondary school established by archbishop William Crolly of Armagh in 1833.
Diocesan and Collegiate Library of St. Malachy’s College.

The Ulster Museum originated as the Belfast Museum of Natural History (est. 1831), which was created by the Belfast Natural History and Philosophical Society (founded in 1821). In 1890, having secured support from the Corporation, it merged to become the Belfast Free Public Library, Art Gallery and Museum (the library had opened in 1888) and in 1905, the Belfast Municipal Museum and Art Gallery. In 1961/1962, it gained recognition as a national museum and accordingly, it was renamed to the Ulster Museum.