The catalogue entry for this text has not been published as yet. Until then, a selection of data is made available below.

A series of Latin records for the Céli Dé house at Loch Leven (St Serf’s Island, Kinross) which form a distinct section in the cartulary of the Priory of St Andrews. A vernacular, Gaelic source is cited for them.

Manuscript witnesses

Edinburgh, National Archives of Scotland, MS GD/45/27/8 
Copied in 1276.
ff. 50v–52r  


Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.

[ed.] [tr.] Taylor, Simon, Peter McNiven, and Eila Williamson, The place-names of Kinross-shire, Survey of Scottish Place-Names, 7, Donington: Shaun Tyas, 2017.
[ed.] Lawrie, Archibald C., Early Scottish charters: prior to A.D. 1153, Glasgow: James MacLehose and sons, 1905.
Internet Archive: <link>
4 (III), 5–6 (V), 6 (VI), 7 (VII, VIII), 9–10 (XI), 11 (XIII), 1–12 (XIV), 19 (XXIII), 66–67 (LXXX)
[ed.] Thomson, Thomas, Liber cartarum Prioratus Sancti Andree in Scotia: e registro ipso in archivis baronum de Panmure hodie asservato, Edinburgh: Bannatyne Club, 1841.
Internet Archive: <link>
113–118 direct link

Secondary sources (select)

Taylor, Simon, “The rock of the Irishmen: an early place-name tale from Fife and Kinross”, in: Beverley Ballin Smith, Simon Taylor, and Gareth Williams (eds), West over sea: studies in Scandinavian sea-borne expansion and settlement before 1300: a Festschrift in honour of Dr. Barbara E. Crawford, 31, Leiden: Brill, 2007. 497–514.