Manuscripts
Betham (William) (1779–1853)
(Sir) William Betham, English antiquary and collector of manuscripts; member of the Royal Irish Academy


Bryson (Samuel) (1778–1853)
Irish scribe from Belfast

Connellan (Thaddeus) (c.1780–1854)
Irish-language scholar and scribe.


Iolo Morganwg (1747–1826)
Edward Williams, better known by the bardic name he chose for himself, Iolo Morganwg, was a Welsh poet and antiquarian as well as a literary forger.

Irish scholar born in Co. Down as the son of a schoolteacher (Terence Lynch); taught Irish at Belfast Academy and published in the Irish-language magazine Bolg an tSoláir. Some of his contributions to scholarship on the Irish language went uncredited.

Mac Bionaid (Art) (1793–1879)
Irish scholar, scribe and poet.

Mac Solaidh (Seón) (fl. early 18th century)
Irish scribe, of Stackallan (Co. Meath)

MacLachlan (Ewen) (1773–1822)
Gaelic scholar and poet; librarian at the University and King's College, Aberdeen (1800-1818); head of the Grammar School (1819-1822); was involved in the compilation of John Macleod’s Gaelic-English dictionary.

Seán (or John) Ó Cleirigh, Irish scribe who could probably claim descent from certain illustrious scholars of the Uí Chléirigh, even if his own testimony seems fuzzy and inconsistent. He appears to have had, perhaps inherited, an unknown number of Irish manuscripts written by or associated with Cú Choigcríche Ó Cléirigh, five of which he brought to Dublin in 1817.


Ó Conaill (Tadhg) (fl. 19th c.)
Irish scribe

Ó Conuill (Seághan) (fl. 18th/19th century)
Seághan Ó Conuill / John O'Connell, Irish scribe

Ó Dreada (Seán) (c.1770–1840)
Irish scribe and sculptor based in Cork.

Donnchadh (Bán) Ó Floinn, Irish scribe, scholar and publisher from Cork.


Irish scribe; son of Mícheál mac Peadair Ó Longáin

Ó Longáin (Peadar) (1801–c.1860(?))
Peattair/Peadar Ó Longáin, scribe who was based in Co. Cork and belonged to the Ó Longáin family of scribes; son of Mícheál Óg and brother of Pól Ó Longáin.

Ó Longáin (Pól) (1801–1866)
scribe who was based in Co. Cork and belonged to the Ó Longáin family of scribes; son of Mícheál Óg and brother of Peadar Ó Longáin.



Ó Muláin (Seán) (s. xviii2 / s. xix1)
Irish teacher and scribe based in the city and county of Cork.



O'Curry (Eugene) (b. 1794–d. 1862)
Irish scholar

O'Donovan (John) (1806–1861)
Irish scholar

O'Kearney (Nicholas) (fl. 19th century)
Nicholas O'Kearney /Nioclás Ó Cearnaigh, Irish scholar


Irish scholar and compiler of an Irish-English dictionary (1817)

Welsh scholar, antiquarian, author, lexicographer; author of a Welsh and English Dictionary (1803)

Reeves (William) (1815–1892)
Irish antiquarian scholar; bishop of the Anglican see of Down, Connor and Dromore; keeper of the Armagh Public Library

Scurry (James) (1790?–1828)
Irish: Séamus Ó Scoireadh, farmer, scholar and translator from Kilkenny.

Scottish army surgeon, and Gaelic scholar, scribe and owner of manuscripts; was the younger brother of Rev. John Smith, who wrote and translated in Scottish Gaelic. Ronald Black (below, p. 11): “a native of Glenorchy and graduate of St Andrews, had been a surgeon in Crieff, with the Black Watch in America, and with the Breadalbane Fencibles at Enniskillen in Ireland. Now holding a staff appointment in Edinburgh, he had built up a big personal collection of old manuscripts, gleaned mainly in Ireland. He had written a ‘Disquisition on the Ancient Celts’ and an ‘Ancient History of the Scots’, neither of which was published”.


Windele (John) (1801–1865)
Irish antiquarian and historian in Cork