Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1286 Unit: section 2
- Irish manuscripts
Irish manuscript written by Aodh Ó Dálaigh, who gives the date of writing as 1746. At the beginning, the material is said to have been transcribed from a manuscript written by Seán mac Muiris Ó Maoil Chonaire, perhaps referring to Egerton 1782, with which it contains much in common and to which Ó Dálaigh is known to have had access. The final part contains a portion of the Dinnshenchas Érenn copied from (a fragment of) the Book of the White Earl.
(fl. mid–18th century)
Irish scribe and poet
Links to texts use a standardised title for the catalogue and so may or may not reflect what is in the manuscript itself, hence the square brackets. Their appearance comes in three basic varieties, which are signalled through colour coding and the use of icons, , and :
- - If a catalogue entry is both available and accessible, a direct link will be made. Such links are blue-ish green and marked by a bookmark icon.
- - When a catalogue entry does not exist yet, a desert brown link with a different icon will take you to a page on which relevant information is aggregated, such as relevant publications and other manuscript witnesses if available.
- - When a text has been ‘captured’, that is, a catalogue entry exists but is still awaiting publication, the same behaviour applies and a crossed eye icon is added.
The above method of differentiating between links has not been applied yet to texts or citations from texts which are included in the context of other texts, commonly verses.
While it is not a reality yet, CODECS seeks consistency in formatting references to locations of texts and other items of interest in manuscripts. Our preferences may be best explained with some examples:
- f. 23ra.34: meaning folio 23 recto, first column, line 34
- f. 96vb.m: meaning folio 96, verso, second column, middle of the page (s = top, m = middle, i = bottom)
- Note that marg. = marginalia, while m = middle.
- p. 67b.23: meaning page 67, second column, line 23
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Dublin,_Trinity_College,_MS_1286/pt_2
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=52786
page ID: 52786
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=52786