Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Rawlinson B 505 Unit: section 1, ff. 1-210Codex Insulensis (MS R2 or I)
- s. xivex
- distinct manuscript
- Irish manuscripts
Collection of Irish saints’ Lives in Latin. It is generally taken to be an early copy of Rawlinson B 485 and since the latter is now mutilated in places, fills in a number of important gaps. The order of the Lives has been rearranged to follow the calendar of feast-days.
The hagiographic collection represented by Rawlinson B 485 and B 505 is known as the Codex Insulensis, a title which is ultimately borrowed from John Colgan. Alternatively, Richard Sharpe (1991) refers to it as the ‘Oxford collection’ of Irish saints’ Lives. Plummer (1910) employs the symbols R1 and R2; Sharpe (1991) R and I.
See more Ó Fearghail familyÓ Fearghail family
See more See Pádraig Ó Riain, ‘Longford priories and their manuscripts: All Saints and Abbeyderg’ in Longford, history & society... (2010).
Links to texts use a standardised title for the catalogue and so may or may not reflect what is in the manuscript itself, hence the square brackets. Their appearance comes in three basic varieties, which are signalled through colour coding and the use of icons, , and :
- - If a catalogue entry is both available and accessible, a direct link will be made. Such links are blue-ish green and marked by a bookmark icon.
- - When a catalogue entry does not exist yet, a desert brown link with a different icon will take you to a page on which relevant information is aggregated, such as relevant publications and other manuscript witnesses if available.
- - When a text has been ‘captured’, that is, a catalogue entry exists but is still awaiting publication, the same behaviour applies and a crossed eye icon is added.
The above method of differentiating between links has not been applied yet to texts or citations from texts which are included in the context of other texts, commonly verses.
While it is not a reality yet, CODECS seeks consistency in formatting references to locations of texts and other items of interest in manuscripts. Our preferences may be best explained with some examples:
- f. 23ra.34: meaning folio 23 recto, first column, line 34
- f. 96vb.m: meaning folio 96, verso, second column, middle of the page (s = top, m = middle, i = bottom)
- Note that marg. = marginalia, while m = middle.
- p. 67b.23: meaning page 67, second column, line 23
Secondary sources (select)
page url: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/Oxford,_Bodleian_Library,_MS_Rawlinson_B_505/ff._1-210
numerical alternative: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?curid=46932
page ID: 46932
page ID tracker: https://codecs.vanhamel.nl/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=46932